Buy tickets online
nl fr en

Cercle wins away to Seraing thanks to Popovic (0-1)

In the midweek game for matchday 13, Cercle headed to Liège, to play Seraing. The Groen-Zwart played with confidence and via a volley from Popovic made it 0-1 halfway through the first half. Near full time, Kehrer seemed to double the lead but the goal was disallowed because Gboho was judged to have handled the ball.

There were few reasons to make changes for coach Muslic, after a big win against Eupen. Only Marcelin was rotated, with Ravych being a part of the eleven at kick-off.

After a short period of both teams settling in, the Groen-Zwart had the game's first chance through Deman. He brought the ball down low in front of goal from the left, finding Denkey who was able to get off a shot. Goalkeeper Galjé was beaten, but the striker's effort went just past the far post.

The Groen-Zwart built on this first effort to take the upper hand early in the game. This soon resulted in chances for Denkey and Somers, but that did not result in an early goal. After 20 minutes there was also a first chance for Seraing, as Majecki had to dive to keep out a low shot from Cachbach.

Cercle immediately responded, pushing Seraing back. Their pressure told when the hosts lost the ball deep in their own penalty area in the 25th minute. Hotic was able to recover the ball and via Somers the ball came into the center for Boris Popovic, who shot on the volley to leave Galjé without a chance.

José Jeunechamps made two changes, bringing on Abanda and Conceicao after the break, but it was the Groen-Zwart that immediately after the break were looking for a second goal. It did not come, and thus Seraing's hopes remained alive. However, the hosts did little with the chances they had. Only ten minutes before time Elisor, on a pass from Dias Gonçalves, was able to test Majecki for the first time, but the Cercle goalkeeper quickly got down to stop the attempt.

Moments later, Elisor tried again on a ball over the top from the defence. Majecki came for the bouncing ball, allowing the striker to get off a shot, but Ravych assisted his goalkeeper and was able to clear the ball off the line.

The game was then changed by a foul on Vagner by substitute Decostere, after which a disturbance ensued and a double yellow card was given to Vagner. Seraing coach Jeunechamps also received a red card from referee Verboomen who assessed the entire phase with the VAR.

In the match's final moments, Kehrer slotted the ball past Galjé into the far corner, but after the intervention of VAR, the goal was disallowed for a handball by Gboho.

Seraing: Galjé, Trémoulet, Mbow, Sylla, Poaty (Conceiçao 46'), Sambu (Abanda 46'), Sissoko (Vagner 58'), Chachbach (Mvoué 72'), Lahssaini, Bernier and Marius (Elisor 58')

Cercle: Majecki, Daland, Ravych, Popovic, Denkey, Hotic (Gboho 71'), Vanhoutte (Francis 71'), Da Silva Lopes, Deman (Velkovski 81'), Ueda (Kehrer 81' ) and Somers (Decostere 94')

Related news articles

Cercle Brugge KSV
Cercle claim a big last-minute win against KAA Gent, 3-2!

Our Groen-Zwart welcomed KAA Gent for the 23rd matchday of this Jupiler Pro League season. The Association was able to do a good job with a view towards a place in the top eight, while the Buffalos wanted to strengthen their hold on fourth place. Miron Muslic chose exactly the same eleven that had beaten Oostende last week. Hotic was honored at the start of the match on the occasion of his 100th match as a Cercle Brugge player.

Read more
Cercle Brugge KSV
Jong Cercle speelt 2-2 gelijk tegen KM Torhout

Read more
Cercle Brugge KSV
Dino Hotic gives Cercle the victory in injury time

Cercle went into the break with a 0-1 lead, but saw Oostende draw level in the second half with a penalty. The home team went looking for a winner, but a young Cercle side did not fold and took the win in injury time. Dino Hotic gave Cercle an important victory with a great goal, their first victory in Oostende since 2004.

In Oostende, Cercle had to do without goalkeeper Majecki, who missed out with a knock. Warleson took his place in net. Charles Vanhoutte immediately returned to the defence after a suspension, and Da Silva Lopes was moved to the bench as a result. Yann Gboho also took a place on the sidelines, with Kévin Denkey leading the line.

Denkey hit the side netting after just a few minutes, following a deflection from Ueda, but that promising start was not followed up. The game mainly took place in midfield, with many duels. When Cercle let the ball do the work for the first time, it immediately resulted in a lead. The build-up play came from Francis and Siquet as Ueda reacted sharpest to the latter's through ball. Face to face with Phillips, our World Cup participant remained calm, turned the home goalkeeper and put the ball into an empty goal (24', 0-1). Following that, Cercle easily held off the home team and was able to play on the counter a few times via Denkey and Ueda. Warleson only had to dive once, on a shot from Amade.

Cercle also started the second half strongly and was close to making it 0-2, but Boris Popovic's goal was ruled out for offside. With a few substitutions, Dominik Thalhammer brought some more life to the home team, but the equalizer came completely out of the blue. After an intervention by VAR, Oostende received a penalty, which was converted by Ambrose (65', 1-1) off of Warleson's fingertips. That unexpected equalizer gave hope to Oostende again and because Cercle was no longer able to play their brand of football, it became a bit of a tough match, especially when KVO also seemed to get a second penalty for an alleged foul by Ravych, but after viewing the images, referee Visser happily reversed his decision.

The game could now go either way, even if the level of football did not remain high. Atanga forced his shot and that cost the home team dearly. At the start of injury time, Olivier Deman unleashed a perfect ball and the unmarked Hotic left Phillips with no chance (91', 1-2). Especially thanks to many interventions from VAR, another nine minutes of injury time were added, but it was Cercle that went looking to make it 1-3. Dino Hotic came closest to sealing the result with a free kick, but the post intervened. Warleson was no longer threatened and Cercle took three very important points, which were celebrated exuberantly with a full away section!

Starting lineups:
KV Oostende: Phillips, Tanghe, Rodin, Capon, Sakamoto, Amade Rocha Santos (Dwomoh 58', Urhoghide 88’), Ndicka, Batzner (58' Atanga), Durdov and Ambrose
Cercle: Warleson, Popovic, Ravych, Daland, Siquet (Gboho 82'), Abu, Vanhoutte, Deman, Somers, Ueda and Denkey (Hotic 88').

Read more
Cercle Brugge KSV
Cercle take a deserved point against Union

Union had made the best start to the match, on a huge chance for Nilsson in the opening start to the match, Cercle held off the second-placed side in the table. The Groen-Zwart’s chances were scarce in the first half, but with a strong second half Cercle took the lead via Thibo Somers. Cercle couldn't pull out three points in the end and it finished 1-1 after a goal from Nilsson.

The matches have followed each other quickly and it was logical that Miron Muslic rotated his team in a number of positions. Marcelin was preferred to Miangue at the back, and Charles Vanhoutte, who received his fifth yellow card this season at Charleroi was replaced by Abu Francis. Winter acquisition Hugo Siquet also made his debut in defence, allowing Thibo Somers to play further forward. Yann Gboho completed the starting eleven, with Kévin Denkey and Dino Hotic starting on the bench.

Union started the game best, and Nilsson was clear after just five minutes, but Majecki remained in control to snuff out his chance. The visitors combined easily and had the most possession, but real chances were also scarce for them. Nieuwkoop fired over after a corner kick and the attempts of Lapoussin and Teuma were too weak to trouble Majecki. There were only opportunities for Cercle in the final phase of the first half. Olivier Deman took a cross from Siquet down on the right, but his shot went over. Moments later, Da Silva was able to play in Lopes, but his low, fizzing shot went just wide of the post. Halftime came with the score 0-0 and that could be called logical.

With Kévin Denkey on the pitch after the break, Cercle was better able to keep the ball, and started strongly in the second half. We did have to be wary of a shot from Machida early on that went wide, though. Marcelin's header was a lot more dangerous but ended up coming off the top of the crossbar. Ayase Ueda also came on and put his nose with  his shot popping over Moris' goal. A few minutes later, a deserved Groen-Zwart lead finally came to pass as Abu Francis made a nice pass for the Thibo Somers, who did not hesitate to blast the ball hard past Moris into goal (68', 1-0).

Union had a difficult time playing football, but was able to force some opportunities with their height at set pieces. Nilsson's header caromed off Majecki and the crossbar but was off target. A header from Burgess moments later caused no problems for Majecki, either. There was quite a bit of bad luck in Union's equalizer, though Popovic was hindered by Adingra and the ball ended up at Lazare's feet, and his cross was kicked in by Nilsson (82', 1-1).

Cercle did not give up and would cause danger through Denkey and Ueda, as Union continued to look for a winner from a set piece, but Majecki had answers for headers by Kandouss and Burgess. The match would remain 1-1 and Cercle had won a point against one of the better teams in the Jupiler Pro League. Still, the feeling would prevail in the dressing room that a victory was certainly one of the possibilities.

Starting lineups:

Cercle: Majecki, Popovic, Marcelin (Ravych 61’), Daland, Siquet (Denkey 46'), Da Silva Lopes, Francis, Deman, Somers, Gboho (Hotic 61') and Ueda

Union: Moris, Machida, Burgess, Kandouss, Nieuwkoop (Adingra 61'), Lynen, Puertas (Lazare 61'), Lapoussin, Teuma, Vanzeir (Boniface 43') and Nilsson (Sykes 87').

Read more
Cercle Brugge KSV
Cercle lose away to Charleroi

After a strong first half, Cercle seemed set to go into the break with the lead, but an unfortunate goal shortly before the break brought a previously uninspired home team back into the game. The Carolos scored again shortly after the break and then held off the Groen-Zwart well. Cercle would head home with a bitter defeat, because it could certainly have claimed more.

An eager Cercle immediately took control of the game and immediately forced the Charleroi goalkeeper to make a much-needed intervention. Charleroi could not escape the pressure of the Groen-Zwart, as attempts from Da Silva and Denkey went just wide. Shortly before the half hour, the Association's work would pay off. After a long throw-in, the ball landed at Vanhoutte's feet, and he fired the ball home past Marcq. The home team did not make much of a response against a very strong Cercle for a long time, but it regularly posed a threat through attacking down the flank after the opening goal. A cross from Kayembe was only just missed by Mbenza, and the equalizer would come shortly before the break. After an unfortunate deflection in their own box, the ball came via Zorgane to the feet of Mbenza, who pegged back Cercle.

Charleroi came out of the dressing room with a different face and immediately forced a series of corner kicks. Substitute Hosseinzadeh climbed the highest after one such corner and immediately gave Charleroi the lead. The lead gave Charleroi the necessary energy, and Cercle needed a moment to recover from this blow. The Groen-Zwart tried to reclaim the initiative, but found no gap in the Carolos' defence, and set pieces also yielded little. There was almost a goal for the other side, but goalkeeper Majecki had a great reaction to both Kayembe's shot and Badji's effort from the rebound. Coach Muslic played his last card by playing Marcelin as a big and strong header of the ball in attack. Ueda was almost able to force the equalizer in extra time, but goalkeeper Koffi kept Charleroi ahead as the rebound was also blocked.
With this defeat, Cercle again did not receive a just reward for their work, as they Cercle should have earned more, especially based on the first half.

Charleroi: Koffi, Bager, Boukamir, Kayembe, Ilaimaharitra, Gholazideh (Hosseinzadeh 46'), Zorgane, Heymans (Badji 72'), Marcq, Nkuba (Tchatchoua 88') and Mbenza (Descotte 79').

Cercle: Majecki, Popovic, Daland, Miangue, Vanhoutte (Marcelin 88'), Da Silva (Francis 72'), Deman, Somers, Hotic (Gboho 72'), Ueda and Denkey.

Goals: Marcq (27', 0-1 (OG)), Mbenza (44', 1-1) Hosseinzadeh (51', 1-2)

Read more